Sustrans, the national charity championing sustainable travel, has launched a new project to help small businesses based in East Sussex reduce the cost of business travel.
The Smarter Small Business Travel project offers a range of free* services delivered by a dedicated Sustrans travel advisor. The advisor can offer anything from advice or short courses to a tailored programme including a review of current travel habits, the development of a travel plan, staff engagement activities and monitoring and evaluation tools to review progress made.
What support is on offer for your business?
- Site visit and audit to establish transport-related costs and potential for on-site improvements
- One-to-one support with a specialist travel adviser to develop a travel plan for your business to help monitor the money saving measures. For example, we can advise on fleet vehicles, technology and skills to support smart working and how to promote active travel to staff.
- Delivery of practical activities such as group walks and rides, cycle training, technology skills workshops and information events
- Invitations to business networking events and opportunities to share best-practice
- Signposting to grants to enable smarter ways of working and travelling, and signposting to local providers and tools to support our work
- On-line resources and web-based challenges between participating businesses
- Monitoring and evaluation, including baseline and follow-up audits and surveys
- Recruitment of, and training and support for, a workplace sustainable transport champion
Who can take part and why is it free?
The project is open to independent East Sussex based businesses with fewer than 250 employees and a turnover of less than £35 million. It is funded by the European Regional Development Fund and East Sussex County Council, who are keen to see small businesses improve their profitability and reduce their carbon footprint.
How can you get involved?
For more information or an informal chat about the project, please contact either: